onsdag 28. mai 2008

No one belongs here more than you




So I am in love.
Ok, not really.
But lovely freaked out by relateableness. (if that is even a word?)

"No one belongs here more than you", by Miranda July is one of the most resplendent collections of short stories i've ever read. My sister Ags, (whom i btw share this perfect blog with) Yes.. I just used the word "whom", I'm a sticker for grammar. Anyway, she gave me this for my birthday. I can not even begin to explain how amazed I am for how well she knows me. Nobody really knows me, and for her to have given me this book that is ridiculously, randomly, unexplanably like myself, is simply amazing.
So back to the book.

July's stories startle me at every turn, sometimes by their sexual frankness, sometimes by passages of impossibly lush eloquence and very often by their sheer inventiveness. There's a whimsical, dreamlike quality to her writing. She has an understanding of human truths and an extraordinary honesty about our wish for acceptance. Miranda July's is a beautiful, odd, original voice - seductive, sometimes erotic and a little creepy too. Who will her work appeal to? To borrow the name of her lovely first film, "Me and You and Everyone We Know".

Here's a part from my favourite shorty so far, "The shared patio".

Vincent has a wife named Helena. She is Greek with blonde hair. It's dyed. I was going to be polite and not mention that is was dyed, but I really don't think she cares if anyone knows. In fact, I think she is going for the dyed look, with the roots showing. What if she and I were close friends. What if I borrowed her clothes and she said, that looks better on you, you shoulk keep it. What if she called me in tears, and I had to come over and soothe her in the kitchen, and Vincent tried to come into the kitchen and we said, Stay out, this is girl talk! I saw something like that happen on TV; these two women were talking about some stolen underwear and a man came in and they said, Stay out, this is girl talk! One reason Helena and I would never be close friends is that I am about half as tall as she. People tend to stick to their own size group because it's easier on the neck. Unless they are romantically involved, in which case the size difference is sexy. It means: I am willing to go the distance for you.

There are tonns of more paragraphs i would like to share, but I'll save them for a rainy day.

Well, it's 9pm and the sun is still hott hott hott, so I am off to the harbour for some wine with a girlfriend. I just managed to get a papercut on my left hand knuckles, and it stings pretty bad. But patch it up and off i ride my bike.

//chris

Ingen kommentarer: